Monday, November 22, 2010

Storm: My GSD on DST

Let me begin by saying that my German shepherd, Storm, is one of the smartest dogs I've ever known. As a puppy she learned commands quickly and eagerly and surpassed our trainer's expectations. She's almost eight years old now and a genuine joy in our lives...except when her aging bladder wakes us up at 4:30 a.m.

She has a pretty regular schedule. We get up at 5:30 and shower, then Daddy takes her out to go potty by 5:45 and feeds her breakfast. No problem except when we change the clocks, especially in fall. I can understand. I can even relate. My body clock wakes me up as promptly on Saturday mornings as the alarm clock does on weekdays. When 5:30 a.m. rolls back to 4:30 a.m., I try to enjoy the extra hour of sleep.

Not so with Storm. She comes fussing at his side of the bed. Then she comes whining at mine. For a few days after the time change we try to put her off a little at a time to help her adjust, but here we are a couple weeks later and she's still trying to convince us to get up an hour earlier.

Last Saturday we had had enough. Storm started with Daddy. He told her it was too early. Then she came to me. "Storm," I moaned. "It's too early! Another hour at least!" so she walked up to the night stand, read the clock - I kid you not, read the clock - and went back to her pillow, laying down with a big sigh.

I love that dog. :) 

No comments: