Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ridiculous...but, sadly, true

So, I thought it was ridiculous that a trained musician didn't know that music would calm a hyper dog. And my musician friends have had the same reaction.

But a non-musician said, and I quote, "Wow, really?" and "Well, I knew it worked for people, I just didn't realize it would work for animals." And, yes, he has seen the Harry Potter movie where they put the three-headed dog to sleep with music.

I'm at a loss. Frankly, thinking has become the same kind of pass-time as baseball in America. It takes too long so it's no fun anymore - we quit. When a person I consider very intelligent AND who is closely related to a family full of musicians can't make that small jump from "music soothes people" to "music soothes," I consider that indicative of the trend in our nation to follow the hype.

Maybe I'm just so immersed in it that I'm out of touch with "reality." But I find it irritating and aggravating that so much that was common sense 50 years ago now has to be analyzed and studied and "discovered" before we can accept it.

No comments: